The Catoctin Land Trust is an all volunteer 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was established in 2000. It is the Mission of the Catoctin Land Trust to preserve and protect the rural landscape and cultural history of the Blue Ridge and Piedmont regions in Central Maryland, Northern Virginia, Northern West Virginia and Southern Pennsylvania. To date we have protected over 3,000 acres in our region.
The CLT is committed to:
- preserving forested and agricultural lands;
- protecting the quality and beauty of our rivers and streams;
- conserving historic landmarks and rural landscapes;
- promoting the knowledge and values, which contribute to a healthy and sustainable future for our natural heritage and the communities we call home.
Through use of conservation easements, land purchases and donations, the Catoctin Land Trust is working to reduce sprawl and redirect development pressures that are decreasing our forests, wildlife, farmland, and open space, while diminishing the quality of the waters which flow through and from these lands into the Chesapeake Bay. The Trust is committed to working with landowners to address individual needs and circumstances in ways that best preserve their land and our common heritage.
What We Do
- Protect land in-perpetuity from development.
- Monitor and legally defend protected lands.
- Raise funds to purchase open space for permanent preservation.
- Educate the public about the value of protecting natural and cultural resources.
- Encourage a conservation ethic among residents and visitors to our area.
- Operate in compliance with IRS regulations and LTA Standards and Practices.